The Government of Alberta has awarded the contract for the design and construction of the $1.4-billion Calgary Cancer Centre to PCL Construction Management Inc.
“I’m so proud to see this badly needed new Cancer Centre take its next step,” said Rachel Notley, premier of Alberta. “The choice of the successful design and builder means shovels will be in the ground later this year. Congratulations to everyone involved.”
The facility design supports cancer patients and their families on their cancer journeys with a large central courtyard and uninterrupted views of the Rocky Mountains or the Calgary skyline from the inpatient rooms and research spaces. The design also lets natural light into all areas used by patients, families and visitors.
Services at the new cancer centre will include:
- outpatient cancer clinics
- more than 100 patient exam rooms
- 160 inpatient unit beds
- more than 100 chemotherapy chairs
- clinical and operational support services
- double the space for clinical trials
- research laboratories
- 12 radiation vaults
- double the capacity to treat patients with the best technology
- New on-site underground parking
When completed, this project will be a leading international cancer care facility and research centre that is expected to attract physicians and researchers from across the globe.
- Groundbreaking – Late 2017
- Project construction – Late 2017-2022
- Operational commissioning for AHS – 2022-2023
- Public opening (anticipated) – 2023