The request for proposals (RFP) stage has closed for prequalified teams to submit their proposals to design, build, and finance the Highway 401 Rail Tunnel project, as part of the GO Regional Express Rail (RER) program. The tunnel is a portion of the work being done on the Kitchener GO Corridor as part of the investment in the RER program.
Following Infrastructure Ontario’s request for qualifications process, three teams—Kiewit, TK Linx, and Toronto Tunnel Partners‑were prequalified and invited to respond to a request for proposals in February 2017. All three teams have submitted their proposals by the RFP deadline.
Over the next several months, Infrastructure Ontario and Metrolinx will evaluate the proposals and a successful proponent is expected to be announced in Fall 2017. A fairness monitor is overseeing the entire procurement process.
The project includes construction of a second tunnel under Highway 401/409 to accommodate two tracks, future signaling, communications infrastructure, and replacing footings of retaining walls that support the ramp from eastbound Highway 409 to eastbound Highway 401.
The project is being delivered using Infrastructure Ontario’s Alternative Financing and Procurement model, which transfers risks associated with design, construction and financing of the project to the private sector.
The shortlisted teams are:
- Proponent Lead: Peter Kiewit Infrastructure Co.
- Constructor: Peter Kiewit Infrastructure Co., Kenaidan Contracting Ltd., Obayashi Canada Ltd.
- Design: Hatch Corporation, Jacked Structures Ltd.
- Financial Advisor: Kiewit Canada Development Corp., TD Securities
- Proponent Lead: Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc., Dragados Canada Inc.
- Constructor: Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc., Dragados Canada Inc., Technicore Underground Corp.
- Design: Arup Canada Inc, Morrison Hershfield, Peto MacCallum Ltd.
- Financial Advisor: ACS Infrastructure Canada Inc., Aecon Concessions
Toronto Tunnel Partners
- Proponent Lead: EllisDon Capital Inc, STRABAG Inc.
- Constructor: EllisDon Civil, STRABAG
- Design: WSP Canada Inc., Dr. Sauer & Partners, Amec Foster Wheeler
- Financial Advisor: EllisDon Capital Inc, STRABAG Inc.