Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Metrolinx have issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) to five prequalified teams to build and finance the Lakeshore East – East Corridor Expansion project. The infrastructure upgrades are required to accommodate the planned expansion of GO Transit rail service on the Lakeshore East corridor.
“This is a very exciting improvement to the Lakeshore East corridor,” said Phil Verster, president and CEO of Metrolinx. “We are increasing mobility to communities in Scarborough and Durham, and improving the customer experience through the GO expansion program. This portion of Lakeshore East – East Corridor Expansion project will deliver the infrastructure that will enable us to run more trains every day.”
Teams were selected based on criteria identified in the Request for Qualifications process that began in March 2017. Selection criteria included applicable construction experience and capacity to finance a project of this size and complexity.
The prequalified teams are:
EllisDon Infrastructure Transit (EDIT)
- Constructor: EllisDon Civil
- Financial Advisor: EllisDon Capital
Regional Rail Construction Partners (RRCP)
- Constructor: Kenaidan, Obayashi, Bot, and Brennan
- Financial Advisor: Rocklyn Capital Inc.
Golden Horseshoe Infrastructure Partnership
- Constructor: Ferrovial Agroman Canada Inc and Coco Paving Inc.
- Financial Advisor: TD Securities Inc.
Steel Head Construction
- Constructor: Aecon and Dufferin Construction Company
- Financial Advisor: Scotiabank
Graham Commuter Rail Solutions
- Constructor: Graham Construction
- Financial Advisor: Graham Capital Partners
Teams invited to respond to the RFP will begin preparing proposals that detail how they will build and finance the project. Once submissions are received, IO and Metrolinx will evaluate the proposals, select a preferred bidder, and then negotiate a final contract. A successful bidder is expected to be announced in summer 2018. A fairness monitor will oversee the entire procurement process.
The scope of work for the Lakeshore East – East Corridor Expansion project includes:
- Right-of-Way (ROW) works to construct 11 kilometers of third track infrastructure between Beechgrove Road and Durham Junction
- Expansion and upgrade of two rail bridges at Rouge River and Highland Creek
- Expansion and rehabilitation of existing culverts
- Construction of retaining walls to support additional track grading for the corridor
This work will allow for increased GO rail service on the Lakeshore East line and will support the Province’s GO Regional Express Rail (RER) initiative. GO RER is a plan to provide faster and more frequent service on the GO Transit Rail Network with electrification of core segments. Weekly trips across the entire GO Rail Network are expected to grow from about 1,500 to nearly 6,000 by 2024-25, representing a doubling of peak service and quadrupling of off-peak service.
The project is being delivered using IO’s Alternative Financing and Procurement (AFP) model, an innovative way of financing and procuring large, complex public infrastructure projects.