The Ontario government has issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) to three prequalified teams to design, build and finance the next stage of the Highway 3 Expansion project. This includes widening the highway from two to four lanes for 15.6 kilometres between the Town of Essex and the Town of Leamington, as part of the province’s plan to build Ontario.
“By widening Highway 3, we are delivering on our promise to make travel easier and safer for the thousands of people who depend on this roadway each day,” said Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Transportation. “Our government has a clear vision to build Ontario. This project will support good jobs during construction, and once complete, ensure that our truck drivers and carriers can get their goods to market more quickly.”
The prequalified teams shortlisted for the project were announced in October based on criteria identified in a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) process that began in June 2021. Each team is now being invited to begin preparing proposals that detail how they will design, build and finance the project, with a successful bidder expected to be announced in fall 2022.
“Our government is committed to investing in meaningful infrastructure projects that make a real improvement in the safety, efficiency and productivity of Ontarians,” said Kinga Surma, Minister of Infrastructure. “Projects such as Highway 3 are crucial to ensuring goods and supplies, including vaccines and PPE, can be delivered efficiently and quickly. In every corner of our province, we are getting shovels in the ground faster, building smarter, and expanding and enhancing critical infrastructure that will pave the way for Ontario to bounce back stronger than ever.”
Highway 3 is a critical highway that provides both regional and international connectivity. Upgrades to Highway 3 in the County of Essex are expected to improve traffic movement, increase highway capacity and enhance highway safety.
Shortlisted teams include:
ERIE SHORES INFRASTRUCTURE PARTNERS (ESIP)
- Applicant Lead – Brennan Infrastructures Inc. & Amico Infrastructures Inc.
- Design Prime Team Member(s) – Parsons Inc. & EXP Services Inc.
- Construction Team – Brennan Infrastructures Inc., Amico Infrastructures Inc., Colas Projects Canada Inc.
- Financial Advisor – Operis Business Engineering Limited
COCO PAVING INC.(CPI)
- Applicant Lead – Coco Paving Inc.
- Design Prime Team Member(s) – Dillon Consulting Ltd. & Golder Associates Ltd.
- Construction Team – Coco Paving Inc.
- Financial Advisor – National Bank Finance
HIGHWAY 3 CORRIDOR DEVELOPERS (H3CD)
- Applicant Lead – Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc. & Plenary Americas L.P.
- Design Prime Team Member(s) – Consor Engineers LLC
- Construction Team – Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc.
- Financial Advisor – Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc.
Featured image: (Ontario Ministry of Transportation)