Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Metrolinx have issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) for the second Advance Tunnel Contract (ATC2) for the Eglinton Crosstown West Extension (ECWE). This 500-metre tunnel will start east of Jane Street and connect to the future Mount Dennis Station.
Two teams were shortlisted and invited to respond to the RFP. The teams and their prime team members are:
- Applicant Lead: STRABAG Inc.
- Design Prime Team Members: WSP Canada Inc. and Dr. G. Sauer & Partners Corporation (DSP)
- Construction Prime Team Members: STRABAG Inc.
Acciona-GFL Joint Venture (AGJV)
- Applicant Leads: Acciona Infrastructure Canada Inc. and GFL Infrastructure Group Inc.
- Design Prime Team Members: GHD Limited and Acciona Engineering North America Inc.
- Construction Prime Team Members: Acciona Infrastructure Canada Inc. and GFL Infrastructure Group Inc.
Teams have been invited to respond to the RFP and will begin preparing their proposals that detail how they will deliver the project. Upon evaluating the proposals received, IO and Metrolinx expect to award this contract in early 2023.
The Province is also issuing an RFP for the elevated section of the Eglinton Crosstown West Extension. The elevated section will run from just west of Scarlett Road to just east of Jane Street. Metrolinx expects to award this contract later in early 2023.
The Eglinton Crosstown West Extension (ECWE) is a 9.2-kilometre extension of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT (future TTC Line 5). The extension will run mostly underground, westward from the future Mount Dennis station to Renforth Drive.
The ECWE is one of the priority transit projects announced by the Province in 2019 as part of the New Subway Transit Plan for the Greater Toronto Area. The other three projects include the Scarborough Subway Extension, the Ontario Line and the Yonge North Subway Extension.
Featured image: A wide angle shot of the tunnel boring machines at the Eglinton Crosstown West Extension launch site. (Matt Llewellyn/Metrolinx photo)