The BC Construction Association (BCCA) honoured its 6th Annual Construction and Skilled Trades Month by recognizing excellence across the industry in three areas of priority: public sector procurement, culture change, and leadership.
“The construction industry is going full steam in an extremely challenging economic environment,” said Chris Atchison, BCCA president. “Every day they build the housing, schools, and hospitals that British Columbians rely on. They’re dedicated, but they’re not invincible. Construction Month is how we showcase the industry and recognize its contribution to our economy and society.”
AWARDS FOR CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY CULTURE
The Builders Code honoured five employers with Builders Code Champion Awards for leading the way in advancing the culture of BC’s industrial, commercial, and institutional construction sector. BC’s industry is 95.5 per cent male: since COVID-19, gender diversity has taken a backwards step, with tradeswomen dropping from 6.3 to 4.5 per cent of the skilled workforce. Now more than ever it’s crucial that employers lead the way to a contemporary culture that will attract new talent and alleviate the workforce shortage. The 2023 Builders Code Champions are:
- Island Red Cedar Construction – Small Contractor of the Year
- Lacey Construction – Community Champion
- Houle Electric – Contractor of the Year – and Workplace Culture Champion – (Large Company Category)
- Kinetic Construction – Recruiting and Hiring Champion
- RAM Consulting – Workplace Culture Champion – (Medium Company Category)
AWARDS FOR PUBLIC SECTOR PROCUREMENT
Procuring construction services is a highly specialized practice that requires unique experience, knowledge, and skill. As the pressure to build housing and other infrastructures collide with skyrocketing costs, labour shortages, and lack of timely payment, procurement best practices are more important than ever for project success. The BCCA honoured public owners who consistently show leadership in the procurement of construction services:
- Fraser Health, Provincial Health Services Authority, and Vancouver Coastal Health – Facilities Management Procurement Team
- City of Victoria – Supply Management Services
- BC Ministry of Citizen Services – Procurement Services
The Public Sector Procurement and Builders Code Champion Awards will be presented throughout the month of April, at events hosted by the BCCA and Regional Construction Associations.
AWARDS FOR LEADERSHIP
In Victoria on April 19, the BCCA will present awards for leadership in apprenticeship and community-building at an invitation-only gala dinner. The Leadership Awards are an annual opportunity for the construction industry to acknowledge its outstanding people and the companies they represent. The 2023 Leadership Award winners are:
- Wayne Farey, Campbell Construction (Victoria)
- Ryan Thran, Knappett Projects (Comox)
- Julia Murrell, Kindred Construction (Vancouver)
- Tyler Cameron, Acadia Mechanical (Terrace)
The Leadership Awards are sponsored by the BCCA and LNG Canada as the Platinum sponsors of Construction Month 2023.
Featured image: (L to R) Chris Atchinson, president, BCCA; Kathy Tull, WorkSafe BC; Joe DiPlacito and Rita Gared, RAM Consulting; Elizabeth Zhu, Fraser Health Authority; Tyler Morris, Geoff Buekema, and Lori Podnevar, Houle Electric; Lesa Lacey, Lacey Construction; and Donna Grant, president, VRCA. (BCCA)