The Government of Québec government has approved 128 school construction and expansion projects in the province, representing the largest education infrastructure investment in the province’s history.
The $1.7 billion investment for additional student spaces will add more than 1,000 preschool and elementary classes, and more than 21,500 high school student spaces, throughout the province including:
- Montreal – $382,367,713
- Centre-du-Quebec region – $61,862,527
- Chaudiere-Appalaches region – $9,489,097
- Lanaudiere region – $70,972,811
- Laval region – $73,972,784
- Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean region – $13,997,911
- Laurentides region – $40,421,618
- Nord-du-Quebec region – $91,616,018
- Outaouais region – $43,455,174
- Monteregie region – $154,096,806
As part of the funding allocated to these construction and renovation projects, some school boards are being granted 10 per cent of a project’s overall cost, in advance of the start of construction, in order to help pay for planning and development. This will help several projects begin earlier than originally planned. Additional funding for these projects will be completed when they are ready to move to the construction phase.