As construction on the West Calgary Ring Road continues, access at Highway 8 and 101 Street will close permanently in mid-September.
“The permanent closure is required now due to ongoing concerns about unsafe U-turns on Highway 8,” Alberta Transportation said in a news release. “The intersection was scheduled to be closed this fall to allow for construction of an interchange in the Highway 8 and Stoney Trail area.”
Left turns were prohibited and detours put in place following the intersection’s partial closure in June. Detours are located at 69 Street SW and 17 Avenue SW.
When completed, the West Calgary Ring Road will provide improved access to the area, including new, direct connections from the West Calgary Ring Road to Highway 8.
- Since June, access is limited to right-in, right-out only.
- There is no access from:
- Eastbound Highway 8 to northbound 101 Street S.W.
- Southbound 101 Street S.W. to eastbound Highway 8.
- Signage was installed in:
- June, advising of the partial closure.
- September 1, advising of the permanent closure.
- Construction on the West Calgary Ring Road began in 2019 and will be open to traffic in 2024.
Featured image: Southwest Calgary Ring Road. (Altus Group)