Infrastructure Ontario (IO) has issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) to three shortlisted teams to design, build, finance and maintain the Macdonald Block Complex. The 45-year old Macdonald Block, a complex of four towers, has never undergone a major renovation and its core systems – including electrical, water, cooling and heating – have reached the end of their useful life and must now be replaced.
“Reconstructing the Macdonald Block Complex will reduce the cost of government operations and help the province meet its greenhouse gas reduction targets,” said Minister of Infrastructure Bob Chiarelli. “The reconstruction is a long-term project that will be undertaken in a fiscally responsible manner. When completed, it will have a significant economic benefit to the province over the next 50 years.”
Teams were selected based on criteria identified in the Request for Qualifications process that began in August 2017. Selection criteria included applicable design and construction experience, as well as the qualified personnel and financial capacity to deliver a project of this size and complexity.
The shortlisted teams are:
- Developer: EllisDon Capital Inc.
- Construction Team: EllisDon Design Build Inc.
- Design Team: NORR Limited
- Facilities Management: EllisDon Facilities Services Inc.
- Financial Advisor: EllisDon Capital Inc.
Fengate PCL Progress Partners
- Developer: Fengate Capital and PCL Investments
- Construction Team: PCL Constructors
- Design Team: WZMH Architects
- Facilities Management: Johnson Controls
- Financial Advisor: Fengate Capital
Sandfield Partnership Solutions
- Developer: Brookfield Financial Corp. / Ledcor Developments Ltd. / Walsh Infrastructure Canada, Ltd.
- Construction Team: Ledcor Design-Build (Ontario) Inc. and Walsh Canada
- Design Team: B+H Architects
- Facilities Management: BGIS Global Integrated Solutions
- Financial Advisor: Brookfield Financial Corp., Ledcor Developments Ltd. and Walsh Infrastructure Canada, Ltd.
Teams invited to respond to the RFP will begin preparing proposals that detail how they will design, build, finance and maintain the project. Once submissions are received, IO will evaluate the proposals, select a preferred bidder and then negotiate a final contract. A successful bidder is expected to be announced in spring 2019. A fairness monitor will oversee the entire procurement process.
A copy of the RFP is available at: http://www.infrastructureontario.ca/Macdonald-Block-Reconstruction-Project/
The Macdonald Block Complex includes the Macdonald Block Podium, and the Hearst, Hepburn, Mowat, and Ferguson towers. An independent, third-party expert panel concluded that the extensive reconstruction is needed. The reconstruction of the Macdonald Block Complex project will reduce the cost of government operations and help the province meet its greenhouse gas reduction targets.